1)
- What surprised you the most?
- What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
I think Chanel's courage to go against the status quo and be a hard working woman is admirable and what makes her such a historical figure, in addition to her timeless brand.
- What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
It is well known that she lacked honesty when describing her family history. I can see how this many have been rooted in embarrassment and is her personal business, yet I think it paints a better picture when trying to understand and learn from her life.
- Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
- I believe that the adversity Chanel faced in the early years of her life is what allowed her to accomplish many things. She suffered abandonment from her father from the very start of her life and when her father died, she was left at a covenant where her authority figures were overbearing.
2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited?
Chanel demonstrates great tenacity. After realizing that her company was unprofitable, she started getting even more serious at becoming the best business person she could be. Due to her tenacity, she was able to become resourceful while breaking the rules of modern day standards.
Chanel demonstrates great tenacity. After realizing that her company was unprofitable, she started getting even more serious at becoming the best business person she could be. Due to her tenacity, she was able to become resourceful while breaking the rules of modern day standards.
3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
When they described her Cabaret singing times, I at first thought that she was basically acting as a stripper. After doing some further research, I was able to clear this. Due to my lack of understanding of 1920's culture, specifically of France, this made the book more challenging.
When they described her Cabaret singing times, I at first thought that she was basically acting as a stripper. After doing some further research, I was able to clear this. Due to my lack of understanding of 1920's culture, specifically of France, this made the book more challenging.
4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
- I would ask what are the staples that a woman should wear every day in today's world. I would be curious how she would navigate the trends of today's world while keeping the timeless style.
- I would also ask what are her thoughts on the evolution of her brand since she has been gone. There was recently a new Chanel perfume released by the name of "Gabrielle", which is her birth name, so I can't help but wonder if she would actually enjoy it and how other aspects of the brand waiver from what she may have done.
- I would ask what are the staples that a woman should wear every day in today's world. I would be curious how she would navigate the trends of today's world while keeping the timeless style.
- I would also ask what are her thoughts on the evolution of her brand since she has been gone. There was recently a new Chanel perfume released by the name of "Gabrielle", which is her birth name, so I can't help but wonder if she would actually enjoy it and how other aspects of the brand waiver from what she may have done.
5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?
At the very beginning of the book, the author starts with stating a turning point in Chanel's life that served as the catalyst for creating the habits that would lead her to become one of the most influential women in artistic/fashion history. Arthur Capel, one of Chanel's late lovers, is said to have changed her life when he broke the truth to her that her business was not profitable and that he was funding it. She raged while pondering on the fact that all the things she had been buying were not from her efforts. She then began to run a tighter ship in her business, being cautious of every penny spent and giving up love and companionship to focus on her craft. I believe she would say, if she had to in one word, that hard work is about sacrifice. She has said that work consumed her life but she liked it and found pride in it. I believe that Chanel would successful hard work must be done with pride. This is something that I have been trying to embrace more in my life lately since I believe mindset and confidence are key to becoming your fullest self.
Hey Alexis,
ReplyDeleteI agree when you said Coco Chanel is a brand that most people think of as "high class" even if its a brand that has been around for many many years. To this day, my favorite perfume is actually from Coco Chanel. I loved how she is still a historic figure and she was going against the status quo.
Alexis,
ReplyDeleteI also wrote about Chanel, and I absolutely loved learning about her life and how she became a successful entrepreneur. I like how you mentioned that due to her tenacious mindset, she was always willing to break the 'status quo'. I have always admired her and her success, and how confident and motivated she was in achieving so much.