Friday, September 13, 2019

5A



“High-priority violations: Alachua County restaurant inspections (Sept. 2 -7)”


https://www.gainesville.com/photogallery/LK/20190910/NEWS/910009985/PH/1


This article details about a dozen restaurants that have made important healthcode violations recently. This article details the specifics of the violations they made whether it be temperature, organization, or just general cleanliness. As much as this has now become an issue for the restaurant owners, it is also more of an issue for anyone who has been to these restaurants. These violations may have been the cause of illnesses of past customers. It also is an issue for the restaurant owners in that they haven’t been able to hire reliable employees to obey these violations. It is also an issue for those employees because it could lead them to be out of a job.





“UF Cybersecurity Researchers Gaining New Ground in Protecting Businesses and Consumers from Fraud”


https://gainesvillebizreport.com/uf-cybersecurity-researchers-gaining-new-ground-in-protecting-businesses-and-consumers-from-fraud/


This article addresses how UF is doing research on one of the leading causes of credit card fraud. Credit card skimming uses small devices to get the necessary information to make fraudulent charges or counterfeit cards. This could be an issue for anyone who uses a credit card which is the majority of people today. The worst part is that you are likely unaware it is happening.





“StudyEdge fills a niche”


https://www.businessmagazinegainesville.com/studyedge-fills-a-niche/


This article discusses how Ethan Fieldman created StudyEdge, a study review tool used by many UF students, by identifying a need as a college sophomore. He identified the issue that if students are bored, they do not learn. They now serve 200 schools across the country. This could be an issue for universities because it could make the tests easier since they analyze past test content trends. Also, it could convince students to use this tool to cram before instead of practicing a balanced life like they will need when they take on a career.





“Hurricane Dorian: Evacuees find refuge in Gainesville hotels”


https://www.gainesville.com/news/20190902/hurricane-dorian-evacuees-find-refuge-in-gainesville-hotels


This article details how the storm altered the demand the hotels typically encounter and how this created struggles while Dorian approached Florida. This can be a problem for both the hotel and the people trying to stay in them. The hotel not being prepared can leave them short handed, their employees overworked, or over capacity. This can be beneficial as they may be able to charge premiums however may hurt overall morale. It can also be an issue for people looking for places to stay as these places may become overcrowded and force them to travel to other locations. It’s a weird time for businesses when they must contront potentially profitable yet unfortunate situations.





“The Sun”


https://www.businessmagazinegainesville.com/13592-2/





This article discusses the global transition to solar energy. They emphasize the importance of businesses to innovate and be aware of the current trend to be able to withstand this changing of the times. This could create problems for consumers as well as obtaining gas to power their petroleum powered cars may increase dramatically in price and be more obsolete. This is overall good for our environment but the transition will impact any and all businesses and people.

3 comments:

  1. Alexis,

    First off, the local opportunities that you mentioned were very informative and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about them. As I was reading through, I was fascinated by the article on the recent Hurricane, Dorian. I like how you mentioned that Gainesville hotels not being prepared could leave them short handed, but their staff overworked and their hotel over capacity. There was a high demand in hotels during this past Hurricane, and I am glad that you pointed out how this is a need not only for this specific situation, but any natural disaster.

    Best,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis, I think you picked some very relevant articles. One that does stand out to me at this point and time is the one about study edge. As a current study edge user for business finance, I would dispute that it is used as a tool for students to cram before studying for an exam compared practicing a balanced life. I currently use it as a resource to get ahead and prepare for the unexpected in a class that is very rigorous, and so far I feel pretty content with their services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexis, I really liked the articles you picked for this assignment. They are all very relevant. The article about credit card fraud particularly stood out to me. Within the past year, I've discovered that my credit card has been frauded three times so this is definitely an issue for me. I'm glad that UF is doing research to help address this issue.

    ReplyDelete