Organizations at UF have very high costs they require member to pay for gear yet up-cycled shirts would help to reduce waste and costs
Other who? Yes, I think that this could be utilized by a lot of organizations and even companies who have focuses on sustainability.
Issues with the what? The question is if the effort is worth the cost savings and how big the cost savings really could be
Issues with the why? I think this may be a good idea since I am regarding college organizations as the initial target market. Since many students do not have much money and also are educated about the importance or being resourceful, I believe that they would find this very helpful while also feeling like they are doing a good thing.
Interview 1: Valentina Blanco
Overall, liked the concept of upcycling shirts since in her sorority they pass down shirts anyways. This is something that occurs in lots of greek organizations yet they often do produce a lot of shirts so maybe automating that process in someway would be better to reduce waste and focus on an order-by-order method.
Interview 2: Danielle Lara
Worried that old shirts being upcycled may be missing the point of a lot of organizations making shirts. They want to all have the same one. This could be an issue since repurposing usually consists of random pieces.
Interview 3: Makayla Ho
Likes the idea but responded to the suggestion from Danielle to see if there is any organization who is mass producing shirts and then having to donate them because they are not being used.
Interview 4; Jacob Bobet
Said he is mostly worried that people may not be comfortable with getting an old shirt, especially if their organization is still making them pay for it.
Interview 5: Julian Berrios
He suggested that I think of other things that people donate and how that could be used to reduce costs for organizations. He suggested visiting the Re purpose project in town to get inspired. He thinks that still printing on the old shirts would be a big hassle and almost equally as expensive.
I believe that the re purposing of products is a good idea but that I should search for other products going to waste that UF students use. I am going to visit re purpose project and look at the office products they have.
Alexis, your idea is brilliant and spot on. With as many organizations there is at UF, there is thousands of shirts that are produced each semester that are maybe worn a few times for a specific event. If we could recycle these shirts and use them for multiple purposes and ever redesign the shirts, this would save a lot of money and resources that are being wasted.
ReplyDelete